Saturday, September 13, 2014

Night at the opera


Night at the opera


A friend received from Klara, the classic radio station in Belgium, two VIP seats for Elektra, an opera by Richard Strauss, so I ended up in this bunch of opera going people, starting out with a glass of champaign and a divine chocolate mouse. I like to watch the filing in of people, to listen to th ...


How much for humanity on the Congo ferry?


I have written elsewhere that the Team Leader’s long ago trip on the Congo Ferry is a source of great envy to me. I’ve said, too, that the Congo River is Central Africa’s super-highway. In a land with few roads and vast forests, the river is not only an essential means of transport, but a place to d ...


Plains, Trains, & Shipboard Pains


Shipboard struggles, y’all. It’s too real. Too, too real. I know I told you all I was going to update at least once a week and, well, that was the plan. However, the ship email/wifi gods had other plans for me. The past week we’ve had a lot of trouble getting emails to go through so, once again, I a ...


Germany


Dear Aunt Karen, I was so pleased to receive your email and hear your thoughts about the blog! I actually sent you a postcard from Germany (oops, I spoiled the surprise), so it should be there soon! In the meantime, I would love to share some thoughts about my experience there. I've been fighting my ...


Tour of Britain: Dylan van Baarle takes narrow lead as Dowsett trails


Belgium's Julien Vermote won the seventh stage of the Tour of Britain as overall leader Alex Dowsett lost the yellow jersey to Dylan van Baarle. Dutch rider Van Baarle, who had been alongside Vermote in a five-man breakaway, now leads Michal Kwiatkowski in ...


Aquino leaves for 4-nation Europe trip


MANILA, Philippines – President Benigno Aquino III left late Saturday night, September 13, on a chartered flight to Spain – the first leg of a 4-nation trip that will also bring him to Belgium, France, and Germany. The President boarded a PAL chartered ...



Search News