Saturday, January 7, 2012

Best dog food for my adolescent puppy

Best dog food for my adolescent puppy?
I have an eight month old female samoyed, and at the moment we live in Belgium. The thing is, the only food that I can find here is normal pet shop dog food such as Iams, Eukanuba, etc... Right now we feed her Chicken Royal Canin Medium Puppy, but I would really like to switch over to a brand like Timberwolf or Canidae. However, I can't find any of these higher quality foods in any pet shops around here or at my vet's office. I was wondering if anyone knew of a comparable high quality dog food that I could buy in Belgium. At the moment I am not interested in feeding her a raw meat diet. Thanks!
Dogs - 4 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Puppy Chow,I heard is supposed to be good for puppies. Maybe you should try mixing dry food with wet food,sometimes that helps their teeth.
2 :
First off, avoid Iams like it's diseased.. 'cause it probably is. Avoid products that are mostly grains or corn. Dog's can't digest these, God only knows why they put them in dog food. If you can't find quality dog food like Gold Label or Natural Choice then you could always make your own. Cooking ground chicken, rice (Or noodles, or oatmeal. Starch is what's important.) and and carrots (Or green beans, or yams. Mix it up if you want.) , in a crockpot is great for pups. Keep the ratio at 40% meat, 30% starch, 30% veggies and add water or a thin broth to keep it from burning (You can strain it off, or make it similiar to a stew). I suggest cooking up a week's worth a time. With food this rich 2 cups per meal is plenty for a good size dog like yours. (4 cups a day)
3 :
I have been rescueing and researching dogs and behavior for several years now and let me tell you the first thing about dog food is not the name on the label or how many commericals they run, it isn't even how many dog shows they sponsor every year. When selecting a dog food you want to get a dog food with a high protein content, somewhere between 25 and 30 percent and you want the first ingredient to be a meat. A lot of dog foods like science diet have the first ingredient list as either rice or corn meal. Well, rice is a filler, and will only make the dog feel full, so they usually will not eat as much, and corn, well dogs can't digest corn, so they often need to poo more often. Personally, I do like either Iams or Purina One.
4 :
Im not sure if they have it in Belgium...but Pedigree Puppy has always worked best for us.
5 :
There is a store in Everberg (Brussels area) called Stonemanor that imports a lot of products from the U.K.. I checked with them and they carry Pedigree and Butchers products, but not specifically for puppies. They can accept orders for other products available in the U.K., but by the case. I assume you have a vet? Why not consult with them about the best brands here in Belgium. Many vets carry an assortment of products at their practice as well, which I assume means they recommend them. In any case, good luck on the search. With the number of dogs in this country, you have to believe many of the food brands are going to be acceptable.



Read more discussions:

Search News